Thursday, March 13, 2008

La Mesa Grand Opening not so Grand


I was really excited to receive and invitation to the long-awaited Grand Opening of La Mesa. Even though my invite arrived in my in-box less than 24 hours before the event, I still thought they might provide a nice evening! I called, made my "reservation" and waited to meet one of my favorite chefs, Robert Del Grande.

The invite boasted appetizers, cocktails, latin wines and latin jazz in addition to meeting THE Robert Del Grande and Executive Chef Youssef Nafaa. Oh yes, they would have complimentary valet (which is much needed in that area with little to zero parking).

First things first, no valet. They didn't show. We arrived to throngs of people. No one there to confirm a reservation so we fended for ourselves and fought our way through the crowd which included a few of The Woodlands "top brass". We thought we were lucky to have found a table in the dining area bordering the patio. A couple of appetizers were made available by the kitchen if you could scratch and claw your way through the feeding frenzy of folks wanting nothing more than a free meal. Not my bag. Sorry. We waited at our table as there were a few (note the word FEW) servers rumbling about with passed hors d'oeuvres. At least 20 minutes went by before we got a nibble. Apparently certain tables got preferential treatment. The table next to ours had at least 10 people and the wait staff would serve them all, run out of food and never come back to us. This happened time and again. Drink orders also came and went to them, not to us. Frustrating.

As we are not the overbearing, rude types we waited patiently and took it all in. 45 minutes passed before I even received a glass of water. Now, on to the "latin wines". Not stated in the invite was that this was a cash-bar situation. Fine, I'm okay with paying for my wine but trying to get to the bar to order was like fighting your way through a maze with no lights! We thought, "okay, maybe we can get a server to take an order" Hahahahahaha! No way, they avoided us like the plague. Needless to say, I NEVER got a glass. I would have paid for it! Money lost for them.

As this circus was on our last nerve, I look across the patio onto the sidewalk and see the man that I had come to meet. Lonnie Schiller and Robert Del Grande were looking at the patio and walking away - leaving. Where had they been? I am not a stalker and since I dine at Cafe Annie I decided it best to leave him be and catch him at a better time at a better venue.

To sum up the disastrous evening, I have some advice for La Mesa. Organization, planning and clarity are key to running a successful event. Be more clear on your invite, don't ask for people to make reservations as any joe could have attended as nothing was monitored, stand by your promises, if you are going to try to cram hundreds of people in your small space have the adequate staff to serve those people. I've got news for you, just because you pulled in some local judges, Woodlands officers, real estate agents and desperate housewives doesn't mean you will be the "bomb". You have got to put your money where your mouth is so to speak. If you can't provide quality service then you won't make it here.

I hate to write a post like this as the management is comprised of two of the nicest guys you'll meet. I'm hoping this was just a fluke and not a sign of things to come. I'm in your corner, ya'll need to come out fighting!

My Favorite Places to eat in The Woodlands

  • America's
  • Black Walnut Cafe
  • Cru
  • Hubell & Hudson Bistro
  • Jasper's
  • Lupe Tortilla