Friday, August 21, 2009

Milk Chocolate Bar Cake




I took the easy way out today. Not a norm for me but I'm short on time and wanted to bring a simple desert to my Mom's that everyone would enjoy. I think this is a Southern Living Recipe...not sure. I had cut it out a loooong time ago and just never made it yet. It looks pretty on their write up so it lured me in visually.

So here's the deal on this cake: go to the store and commit the Foodie sin - buy a Cake Mix!! Yep - gasp!! Just do it! Even my 17 year old son asked WHY ON EARTH was his Mom using a cake mix!??? Sometimes you gotta roll that way - take the shortcuts but don't get all Sandra Lee on me puhlease!! Be sure that you take the extra time at the end to make it look glamorous!

Recipe as follows:

Milk Chocolate Bar Cake

1 (18.25-ounce package Butter recipe chocolate cake mix
1 (8-ounce) Package cream cheese, softened
1 cup Powdered sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
10 (1.5-ounce) Milk Chocolate candy bars with Almonds, divided (I used Hershey's)
1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed

PREPARE cake batter according to package directions. Pour into 3 greased and floured 8-inch round cakepans. (I only used two and adjusted my time)

BAKE at 325 for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.

BEAT cream cheese, powdered sugar, and granulated sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until mixture is creamy.



CHOP 6 candy bars finely. Fold cream cheese mixture and chopped candy into whipped topping.










SPREAD icing between layers and on top and sides of cake. Chop remaining 4 candy bars. Sprinkle around top and press into bottom edge of cake.









Yield 1 (3-layer) (or two) cake
Prep: 20 min., Bake: 25 minutes

Let me know how yours turns out!

No comments:

My Favorite Places to eat in The Woodlands

  • America's
  • Black Walnut Cafe
  • Cru
  • Hubell & Hudson Bistro
  • Jasper's
  • Lupe Tortilla